- Category: Politics
- Published on Thursday, 23 June 2022 12:51
June 22, 2022
The Appellate Chamber of the Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina sentenced in a second-instance verdict Dusan Sladojevic, Slavko Aleksic and Risto Lecic to five months in prison each for inciting national, racial and religious hatred, discord and intolerance in and around the eastern Bosnian town Visegrad in March 2019.
The chamber determined that Sladojevic, Aleksic and Lecic glorified the Chetnik movement and WWII Chetnik commander Draza Mihailovic, singing the songs that incite threats and violence, and committing the crime of inciting national, racial and religious hatred, discord and intolerance.
The trial began in July 2021 and in the first instance verdict from December last year the Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina acquitted them of charges that they gathered in the morning of March 10, 2019 at the Square of Fallen Soldiers in Visegrad, organised by the Visegrad branch of the ‘Ravna Gora’ movement, which included members of the movement from Serbia and Montenegro, and later drove to the Dobrunska rijeka site, known aa ‘Drazevina’.
Commenting on the court's decision, head of the ‘Women – Victim of War’ association Bakira Hasecic said the punishment was weak but it was a step forward in terms of trials.
Speaking to N1, Hasecic said that this verdict must be a warning that no one in Bosnia and Herzegovina ever again decides to offend anyone, especially in the places of returnees such as Visegrad.
“In my opinion, the Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina should have shut down the ‘Ravna gora’ movement’ and that should have been included in the verdict,” said Hasecic.