Facebook

International Information Centre for Balkan Studies



Montenegro confirms first two cases of coronavirus

March 18, 2020

Montenegro confirmed its first two cases of coronavirus on Tuesday, ending its distinction as the only disease-free European country. The virus has been confirmed in two women who had arrived 12 days ago from the United States and Spain, Prime Minister Dusko Markovic said on Tuesday.

Markovic said the patients are 72 and 47 years old. The director of the Montenegrin Public Health Institute, Boban Mugusa, said the that their health condition is good.

"One of them arrived from the United States 12 days ago, and her health condition has not been monitored since, as the United States had not been listed as one of the affected countries. The other one arrived from Spain, and we have been monitoring her status. The patients are from the cities of Ulcinj and Podgorica," Mogosa said.

Montenegro had already sealed its borders, suspended all public transport, and closed down all schools, cafes, and restaurants to prevent the spread of the disease. Only supermarkets and pharmacies remain open. The country has also banned all public gatherings and urged people to work from home.

Until Tuesday, it was the last European country with no confirmed cases of coronavirus infection.

Source:  http://rs.n1info.com/English/NEWS/a579081/Montenegro-the-last-European-country-without-coronavirus-case-reports-its-first-two.html

isn eth zurichBSAdsNATOCentral and Eastern European Online LibraryEurActiv | European Union Information Website